close

FG To Resume Abuja-Kaduna Train Operations After Digital Security System Installed 

 

FG says the service will commence when the digital security systems that will monitor activities around the tracks are deployed and installed.

The Federal Government says it cannot resume the suspended Abuja-Kaduna train operation now because it will be insensitive to the plight of train attack victims whose family members are still in captivity.

The Minister of Transportation, Muazu Sambo said this while addressing state house correspondents after the Federal Executive Council presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday, August 24, 2022.

Recall that in March, terrorists attacked a Kaduna-bound train and abducted some passengers. While some victims have been released, others are still in captivity.

Read Also: Kaduna-Abuja Train Attack: 168 people still missing 

Following the attack, the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) suspended train service on the Abuja-Kaduna rail corridor.

The minister speaking on Wednesday said the government is still investigating the right type of surveillance equipment to procure in order to effectively monitor the tracks along the Abuja Kaduna route, as well as concessioning it in a Public Private Partnership arrangement.

Earlier in August, the minister had hinted that train service on the Abuja-Kaduna corridor would resume when victims kidnapped from the AK-9 train are reunited with their families.

He added that the service would commence when the digital security systems that will monitor activities around the tracks are procured and installed.

Meanwhile, the Federal executive council has approved N1.49 billion for the repair works to be carried out at the Nigerian Railway Corporation.

Spread the love
Tags : Kaduna-Abuja trainKaduna-Abuja train attack
Thegiantsource

The author Thegiantsource

Leave a Response