close

#election

Reason Why Buhari Sacked Buni –Gov. El-Rufai

 

Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State has provided insight into how the ruling party carried out the palace coup that removed the Chairman of the APC Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee, Mai Mala Buni, on Monday.

Speaking on Channels TV’s Politics Today on Wednesday,, El-rufai said the governors of the All Progressives Congress discovered a grand conspiracy between the lawyers of Buni and some people he described as fifth columnists to postpone the national convention of the party through a court injunction.

According to El-Rufai, when the governors discovered the move against the convention, they quickly ran to inform President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday who ordered the immediate removal of Buni.

The president subsequently ordered the installment of Governor Abubakar Bello of Niger State as the acting chairman before going overseas for medical treatment.

According to the Kaduna State governor, the plan was to postpone the convention till May which coincides with the deadline set by the Independent National Electoral Commission for all political parties to conduct their presidential primaries.

THE GIANT SOURCE had reported that Buni’s plan was to hold the party’s presidential primary and national convention on the same day.

Read Also: Buhari ‘fired’ mai-mala buni, asked Niger state governor to take over as party chairman 

Buni is said to be interested in the presidency and was the source of the plot to return former president, Goodluck Jonathan, to Aso Rock on the platform of the APC.

Among other plans injurious to the party, El-Rufai further alleged that the court injunction procured by Buni’s associates, which was obtained in November last year, was never challenged by Buni. Rather, Buni’s lawyers agreed with the position of those who instituted the suit.

“We got to know of a court order last year. It was obtained in November. A member of the party went to court to say there must not be a convention until his case against the party is disposed of which can take months or years and the lawyers of Buni went to court and agreed with the person and nobody knew about this order,” he explained.

According to him, “It was a hidden nuclear weapon to destroy the convention which further made us believe that there are fifth columnists in the party that want to bring this party down because if we don’t have (convention) and we go ahead with the primaries we might likely have our candidates lose all their seats as the case in Zamfara.

“We reported to the President that no action had been taken on the order. He said the Niger state governor must take over on Monday and we should use whatever legal means necessary to make sure that the convention is delivered.”

On the division in the Progressive Governors’ Forum, El-Rufai said that at least 19 out of the 22 APC governors as well as the President were firmly behind Bello as the new caretaker chairman of the party.

He said there were about two governors who were still backing Buni, adding that they were the ones sponsoring fake news.

“Bello has the President’s full backing and the backing of at least 19 of the 23 progressive governors and deputy governors. There are some governors not fully on board and are the ones planting fake stories. Since Monday he took over, we have substantial progress,” said the governor.

El-Rufai further revealed that the President had signed off on some recommendations including the issue of zoning before jetting out of the country.

Despite this, he alleged that the Secretary of the caretaker committee, Senator John Akpanudoedehe, refused to take instructions from Governor Bello who is the acting chairman.

The governor said Akpanudoedehe, who has continued to issue statements insisting that Buni remained chairman, would be dealt with at the appropriate time.

“I can assure you that even when he (Buni) returns to the country, he will handle no position. The National Secretary, I believe, the CECPC has taken action against him already. The CECPC has taken a decision on him. The CECPC will explain this decision in due time.”

While adding that the governors of the party will meet next week, he said the governors have all relocated to Abuja to prepare for the convention.

In a short statement issued to counter El-Rufai’s claim sent to THE WHISTLER, the secretary of the party, Mr John Akpanudoedehe denied the allegations describing the action of the APC governors as treacherous.

He accused the governors of stabbing Buni in the back because he was out of the country on medical treatment and was not in a position to defend himself.

While dismissing El-Rufai’s threat to remove him, he warned that no man should elevate himself above God, wondering why El-Rufai would be attacking Buni in such manner despite the lofty achievements he had attained in the party since 2020 that he took over.

While arguing that every decision Buni took was backed by the governors, he said, “The only advantage they have is that they can smooth-talk. Buni does not talk much. Why didn’t they refuse when the party handed the structures to the governors? Why did they not come to the national secretariat then to complain?

“Now almost all the states the governors are controlling are in court seeking that the convention should be stopped because they need to settle their cases, that is not my concern but I want you to close your eyes and see a brother of yours lying on a sick bed being operated upon and you see your fellow governors holding knife and stabbed you on your bed you would understand the kind of person these people are.

“It is like the case of Caesar and Brutus. After working so hard for the party, they stuck their knives in him. If you have love, why did you take the issue to the President?

“Their aim was to paint him black before the President. They know this President loves Buni. This is the only person that is loyal to the President. None of them loves the President like Buni.

“They are agents of destruction, Nigerians should disregard these people. They are playing to the gallery.”

read more

IPOB LEADER: FGN Accuses “Nnamdi Kanu” Of Setting Attacks That Killed 175 Security Personnel And Several Others

The Federal Government of Nigeria has accused the IPOB leader (Nnamdi Kanu), of using the Radio Biafra to incite violence which claimed the lives of at least 175 security personnel and several other people.

The Minister of justice and Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) “Abubakar Malami”, disclosed the accusation at a news briefing on Friday in Abuja.

The minister accused that Nnamdi Kanu also used the online station to give an order to the members of the group to create chaos and commit violent attacks against civil and democratic institutions across the nation, especially in the South East part of Nigeria.

 

According to the Minister, such attempts include attacks on security operatives, police stations, security formations, and the destruction of both Government and public properties, which includes the destruction of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) offices and others.

 

Malami said, 175 security operatives – 128 policemen, 37 military personnel, and 10 other security operatives – were killed in the attacks set by the IPOB leader (Nnamdi Kanu).

The Attorney General Federation also blamed members of the group and the Eastern Security Network (ESN) for an attack that took place on Tuesday. The attack was on traditional rulers who were holding a meeting in Imo state, were two traditional rulers got killed in the attack.

Malami added, that Kanu also played a role in the violence recorded during the EndSARS protests that took place in the year 2020.

He said, “The EndSARS protests of October 2020 played into the sinister plans of Nnamdi Kanu, whereby he seized the protests through subversive and incite online broadcasts and actively commanded and order his members to attack security personnel and facilities”.

“As a result of his broadcasts, members of IPOB group attacked and killed security personnel and burnt down Police stations, Correctional centres, INEC offices, bus terminals, the Palace of Oba of Lagos, Banks, hospitals, shopping malls and vehicles, amongst others.”

 

The minister went further and said, “during the attacks, 19 offices, 18 logistical vehicles, several election materials, equipment and ICT gadgets belonging to INEC were destroyed in Abia, Akwa-Ibom, Anambra, Cross River, Enugu, Ebonyi, and Imo States”.

He added that 164 police stations and formations, including the Police Headquarters in Owerri, Imo State, were attacked by IPOB/ESN members.

The minister told news reporters at the briefing session that a Presidential Ad-hoc Committee, comprising twenty-four members, which he heads found links between Kanu and the attacks during its investigations into his activities.

Here is the full text of the Attorney General of the Federation briefing below:

Protocols

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Press, I welcome you to this very important press conference.

As you are aware Nnamdi Kanu, the self-acclaimed leader of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has been at the centre of a subversive campaign against the Nigerian State. Consequently, Nnamdi Kanu was arrested on 14th October 2015. He was charged to court for treasonable felony, among other crimes. He was granted bail by the Federal High Court, Abuja on 25th April 2017. He, however, breached the bail conditions and fled abroad.

While in self-exile, Nnamdi Kanu intensified his subversive campaign, using online Radio Biafra to instigate violence and incite members of IPOB to commit violent attacks against civil and democratic institutions, particularly the security personnel, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), and civilians. He instigated the destruction of public and private properties across the country.

As a result of these criminal activities, IPOB was proscribed and designated a terrorist organisation by a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, in an order made on 20th September 2017.

Despite the proscription of IPOB by the Federal Government, Nnamdi Kanu continued the subversive campaign, instigating and inciting broadcasts to direct members of the IPOB to launch attacks on the government.

The EndSARS protests of October 2020 played into the sinister plans of Nnamdi Kanu, whereby he seized the protests through subversive and inciting online broadcasts and actively commanded and directed attacks on security personnel and facilities.

As a result of these broadcasts, members of IPOB attacked and killed security personnel and burnt down Police stations, Correctional centres, INEC offices, bus terminals, the Palace of Oba of Lagos, Banks, hospitals, shopping malls and vehicles, amongst others.

On 12th December 2020, Eastern Security Network” (ESN) was formed by Nnamdi Kanu as an armed wing of IPOB with the mandate to advance the nefarious agenda of the outlawed group. ESN continued to launch attacks on security personnel, civilians perceived as enemies as well as the destruction of private and public properties.

The destructive activities of IPOB/ESN pose a serious threat to Nigeria’s national security and its corporate existence, which resulted in the re-arrest of Nnamdi Kanu and members of his group.

The eventual re-arrest of Nnamdi Kanu in June 2021, and some members of his group led to the inauguration of a Presidential Ad-hoc Committee, comprising twenty-four (24) members drawn from:

Federal Ministry of Justice (MoJ),

Federal Ministry of Information (MoI),

Nigeria Police Force (NPF),

Department of State Services (DSS),

National Intelligence Agency (NIA), and

Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA),

The Committee, inaugurated by the President, and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari (GCFR), was headed by the Honourable Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice.

The Committee finds as a fact, that consequent upon the instigating directives of Nnamdi Kanu, members of IPOB/ESN carried out massive attacks on democratic institutions especially INEC Facilities with a view to hampering the democratic process in Nigeria. These attacks that were carried out between October 2020 and June 2021 include the following:

That acting on the instigating directives of Nnamdi Kanu, IPOB members and #EndSARS protesters attacked and killed many security agents, destroyed several public and private properties, including police stations, public transport buses and other facilities across the country.

That on 21st October 2020, Nnamdi Kanu through an online call-in radio programme (Radio Biafra), further instigated IPOB members to burn down all police stations and kill government security forces, which was carried out and several security personnel (especially police officers) were killed, and public and private properties destroyed.

One hundred and seventy-five (175) security personnel were killed by IPOB/ESN, comprising one hundred and twenty-eight (128) policemen, thirty-seven (37) military personnel and ten (10) other security operatives;

The killing of prominent Nigerians, (recently there were gruesome killings of traditional leaders: Obi 1 of Okwudor autonomous community, Eze E. Anayochukwu Durueburuo and Eze Sampson Osunwa of Ihebineowerre autonomous community as well as the killings of Dr Chike Akunyili and eight others as well as the killing of Alhaji Ahmed Gulak on 30th May. 2021);

That as a consequence of Nnamdi Kanu’s broadcasts, there were nineteen (19) attacks on INEC facilities that resulted in the destruction of offices as well as burning of eighteen (18) INEC logistical vehicles, several election materials, equipment and ICT gadgets in Abia, Akwa-Ibom, Anambra, Cross River, Enugu, Ebonyi and Imo States;

That one hundred and sixty-four (164) police stations and formations, including Police Headquarters, Owerri, Imo State were attacked by IPOB/ESN leading to the death of one hundred and twenty-eight (128) policemen {as stated in III above}; one hundred forty-four (144) injured while six hundred twenty-eight (628) vehicles were destroyed.

That three hundred and ninety-six (396) firearms and seventeen thousand seven hundred and thirty-eight (17,738) ammunition were carted away during the IPOB/ESN attacks;

That there were three (3) IPOB/ESN attacks on Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS), including the Headquarters of NCoS, Owerri, Imo State where one thousand eight hundred and forty-one (1,841) inmates escaped;

That the Headquarters of the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS), Umuahia, Abia State was also attacked by IPOB/ESN leading to the death of one (1) officer;

That there were several IPOB/ESN attacks and destruction (arson) of public and private properties during the EndSARS and Biafra agitations across the country, especially in the South-East and South-South regions, notably the Palace of the Oba of Lagos where twelve (12) flats were completely looted and vandalized, the country home of the Governor of Imo State, Senator Hope Uzodinma, was burnt, over one hundred and fifty (150) buses burnt at the Lagos Bus Terminal, Sen. Ndoma Egba’s home in Calabar Municipal, Cross River State, was completely looted and vandalized, Lagos State DNA and Forensic Centre, City Hall Race Course, First Bank Branch Lagos, Lagos State Public Works Commission, Nigeria Port Authority (NPA), Marina, Lagos, High Court Igbosere, Lagos, were all burnt, amongst other heinous crimes committed.

We have also established that Kanu is not alone in his subversive activities. He has accomplices in Nigeria and abroad, individuals and groups as well as state and non-state actors who are aiding and facilitating his campaign against the people and state of Nigeria. Some of the state actors aided KANU, even as a fugitive, in his destructive mission, ignoring the terrorist nature of his activities.

We call on these countries to desist from aiding subversive acts by Kanu and IPOB against the state of Nigeria and its people. Conversely, there are some friendly countries that, recognising the status of IPOB as a terrorist organisation, have either banned the activities of IPOB or placed KANU on Stop List. To these peace-loving countries that have put Kanu on their Stop Lists and banned IPOB from operating in their territories, we express our appreciation.

Similarly, the Federal Government has received the report on financers of Adeniyi Sunday Adeyemo a.k.a Sunday Igboho. The report revealed that Sunday Igboho is a Director and signatory to Adesun International Concept Limited registered on 23rd April 2010. Adesun International Concept Limited also has Oladele Oyetunji and Aderopo Adeyemo as Directors. Sunday Igboho is linked to 43 bank accounts in 9 banks.

The major financier of the fugitive and separatists was found to be a Federal lawmaker in the National Assembly. A total sum of one hundred and twenty-seven million, one and forty-five thousand naira ONLY (N127, 145,000.00) was received by Igboho from his financiers between 22nd October 2013 and 28th September 2020 through Adesun International Concept Ltd accounts.

A total sum of two hundred and seventy-three million, one hundred and ninety-eight thousand, two hundred naira only (N273,198,200.00) transaction outflows were recorded from Sunday Igboho’s account between 15th March 2013 and 11 March 2021.

Investigation reveals that Adesun International Concept Ltd (belonging to Igboho) transferred the sum of twelve million seven hundred and fifty thousand naira (N12, 750,000) to Abbal Bako & Sons.

It might be recalled that Abbal Bako & Sons and its promoter Abdullahi Umar Usman are suspects in the ongoing joint terrorist financing investigation. Abdullahi Umar Usman is by way of financial transaction connected to Surajo Abubakar Muhammad (who was sentenced to life imprisonment in UAE on charges of financing terrorism [Boko Haram]).

This report shows the nexus between separatists’ agitation, terrorism financing, and disruptions of peace in the country.

The report found connections of financial transactions between Adesun International Concept Ltd (belonging to Igboho) and some construction companies and businesses among others.

Having received the reports, the Federal Government remains solute in its determination to have a peaceful Nigeria. The Federal Government will do the needful, within the context of the legal provisions, in ensuring that the matter is given the deserved attention and those found guilty will be made to face the wrath of the law.

I thank you most sincerely.

Abubakar Malami, SAN

Honourable Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice

read more
1 2 3 10
Page 1 of 10