close

insecurity

Nigeria Has Been Experiencing Insecurity Since Civil War – Lai Mohammed 

 

Federal Government said that the current insecurity problem has been the greatest challenge to the peace and security of nation since the time of civil war.

This was stated by the Honourable Minister of Information and Culture, “Lai Mohammed”. He said it during a joint security conference which hold today 5 September in Abuja.

Mohammed said the security challenges “have been daunting, from terrorism to banditry to kidnapping to separatist violence to crude oil theft to armed robbery and sundry crimes. It’s undoubtedly the greatest challenge to the peace and security of our great nation since the civil war from 1967 to 1970.”

According to the information and culture minister, the current insecurity challenge is the type of challenge that would have overwhelmed by some countries, “but thanks to the purposeful leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari, we can say, I want to repeat, that the worst is over and peace and security are gradually returning to the land.

Read Also: ASUU issue is more complicated than Nigerians think-Lai Mohammed 

His statement:

“Please don’t misunderstand or misrepresent this assertion. We may still witness isolated cases of security challenges here and there, but it will not be on the scale that we have witnessed in the past.

We want to use this opportunity to salute Mr President for his leadership. When many threw their arms up in the air and felt it was all over, President Buhari remained resolute. When many called for the use of foreign mercenaries to tackle the challenges, especially terrorism and banditry, President Buhari never wavered in his belief in the ability of our gallant men and women in uniform to rise to the occasion, and rise to the occasion they did.

Some said the security challenges have overwhelmed the military, but the military has now demonstrated that no group of ragtag criminals can ever overwhelm them.

Terrorists and bandits and co can run but cannot hide, and this has been demonstrated by the arrest of those who attacked a church in Owo. These criminals can run but cannot hide, as we have seen in the decimation of the cowards who ambushed the Brigade of Guards troops in Abuja.

I am sure you will hear from my colleagues how our military and other security agencies have been decimating the top echelon of ISWAP and Boko Haram, how armed bandits camps and resources have been destroyed, and how the capacity of IPOB/ESN has been substantially degraded.”
The minister noted that whereas in conventional warfare, the parties can declare a truce or cessation of hostilities, upon reaching an agreement, “it is not the same for the kind of unconventional warfare that our military has been fighting in recent years.”

He said the government was not saying the battle was over, but that the military and other security agents had been able to contain “the daunting security challenges we face, and that the worst is indeed over. We have now put the terrorists, bandits and their ilk on the run and we will not relent until they have been crushed.”

Lai Mohammed also use the medium to appealed to all Nigerians affected by the insecurity challenge and urged them to continue to support the security agencies/authorities in their arduous task of keeping the country safe.

read more

Gunmen Kidnapped Four In Ekiti, Demand N20m Ransom

 

Gunmen kidnapped four persons on Oke Ako-Irele Road in Ikole Local Government Area of Ekiti State and demanded N20 million ransom.

Sources who spoke to newsmen in Ado Ekiti on Thursday, said the incident occurred at about 7.30pm on Wednesday, July 6.

Those abducted were said to be occupants of a commercial vehicle and a mini-truck travelling on the road that leads to the border.

The victims were said to have been ambushed at a pothole-ridden portion of the road that links to Ekiti and the Kogi border.

According to the sources, the driver, who is from Ipao Ekiti and a passenger were abducted in the commercial vehicle, while the driver and his assistant were taken away in the mini-truck, which was said to be conveying charcoal.

“We were in a meeting at about 8pm on Wednesday when we got information that there were two vehicles with doors opened and the headlights on the road, but that there was nobody in the vehicles,” a source narrated.

“On getting there, we saw a commercial vehicle and a mini-truck. But before we got there, the occupants of the two vehicles had been abducted by the kidnappers. The abductors had been calling since Wednesday night requesting N20 million as a ransom for the victims.

“In the course of the phone call from the den, we got to know the victims are four and that the passenger boarded the commercial vehicle at Irele Ekiti and headed to Ayedun Ekiti.

“The commercial car driver said he did not know where they were in the bush but that all he knew was that they were near a river as they could hear sounds of a flowing river. However, men of the Police Rapid Response Squad, Amotekun Corps and local hunters have been combing the bush to rescue them. it is our prayer that they get them hale and hearty”.

Anouther source said, “The abductors have been calling since Wednesday night requesting N20m as ransom. However, the police, Ametekun Corps and hunters have been combing the bush to rescue them. It is our prayer that they get them hale and hearty.”

Another source said that the communities in Ekamefa, comprising Irele, Ijowa, Oke Ako, Ipao, Itapaji and Iyemero were living in fear of the kidnappers, who he noted had surrounded the area.

Speaking with journalists, spokesman for the Ekamefa community in Ekiti, Oluwafemi Abayomi, said, “Insecurity is a big problem in our area. Our people are not safe, nobody can go to the farm again without being kidnapped.”

He, therefore, called for the intervention of the state and federal governments.

read more
1 2
Page 1 of 2